Narrabundah Infants School

Southside Community Services is now located in the buildings that were constructed for the Narrabundah Infants School in 1952. A small children’s library was constructed later on Iluka St, this is now used by Winnunga as their Art Room.

The Infants School first accepted enrolements in August 1952. It was officially opened on 11 March 1953 by Lady Holmes, wife of the UK High Commissioner. Enrolments were 220 children and the Headmistress, Miss T Harival, was nicknamed miss horrible by the kids according to Pat Booth.

Some Plans of Narrabundah Infants School

ShowImage

Plans 2

Some School Photos

Courtesy of Bill McIntyre & Pat Booth

The photo below of 1952 lower kindergarten was taken on the terrace which still exists, in tact, in 2014. It can be assumed that many of these kids would have been the first year who went to the Narrabundah Preschool

 Narrabundah Infants 1952 - Courtesy Bill McIntyre

Narrabundah Infants 1953 - Courtesy Bill McIntyre -3rd row 4th from left

Narrabundah Infants 1953 - Courtesy Pat Booth

Narrabundah Infants 1954 - Courtesy Bill McIntyre - 4th row fifth from right

Narrabundah Infants 1955 - Courtesy Bill McIntyre - 4th row centre

Narrabundah Infants School P & C Reports

Narrabundah Infants P & C Reports

Use of Narrabundah Infants School Buildings after Narrabundah Primary School opened.

1974-75 Establishment of Narrabundah Family Centre

Canberra Times Articles

Community Centre in Limbo – Narrabundah Community Council

New Centre