The Narrabundah Community of Gardeners are local residents for the most part. Some rely on the gardens to grow their own produce. Others simply enjoy gardening and being with other gardeners.
Friends of the Garden don’t lease a plot, they enjoy contributing to the garden community and sharing produce.
Though in the early stages, we are also establishing areas of habitat for nectar birds and friendly insects. We have resident blue banded bees and since planting native grasses, lady beetles and butterflies.
Established around 2000, we operate from the Old Narrabundah community gardens site on Kootara Crescent next to the tennis courts.
How to join
To be a member of the Narrabundah Community of Gardeners you must be a member of the Old Narrabundah Community Council (ONCC). Annual membership is only $5.
There are two types of Garden membership
- Friends of Garden – no plot, happy to help. Not involved with committee or planning.
- Individual member – $20 annual membership entitled to full participation. Responsible for care of plot, if taken.
- Improved plot with border $5/ sq m per annum.
- Unimproved plot, no border $2.50/sq m per annum.
- Annual membership fees are due by 1st September for the following year.
For enquiries, information, membership forms and payment details please email email@example.com
Winter Gardening News
Winter vegetables growing well.
Preparations for increased capacity
A core group of Garden members have been working to establish new plots and improve the site generally. You can see the first timber framed plot being lined up with four more to come in the next few weeks.
Other projects include
- Weed, and plant flowers in the war memorial garden
- Establish a new raspberry patch
- Preparing shared plots for summer crops
- Managed pedestrian access
- Plant a bee and butterfly friendly garden
Over the next few weeks, the Gardening Community and Friends are working to make the Gardens look beautiful and be ready for spring planting. If you can lend a hand for any of the following dates, you’d be most welcome.
You don’t need to be a member of the Community Gardeners to come and join a working bee. Just turn up at the Gardens on Kootara Crescent at any of the dates below
from 10.30am to 12.30pm
- Sat 23 July
- Sat 6 August
- Sat 20 August
- Sat 3 September